7th Grade Prerequisites
- Know by heart (memory) “The Primary Texts of the Christian Faith” (See section at the end of this handbook.)
- Know by heart (memory) in addition to the “Primary Texts” (noted with an asterisk * on the “Primary Texts” document):
- Ten Commandments: Commandments 1-4 + Explanations.
- Apostles’ Creed: 1st Article + Explanation.
Those who wish to participate in spring 2020 Confirmation Class must complete the oral test by Sunday, September 9, 2018. Please call the office (262-567-5001) to schedule a half-hour appointment with Pastor O’Donnell or Pastor Scharnell any time before that date.
8th Grade Prerequisites
- 7th Grade Prerequisites
- Apostles’ Creed, Articles 2-3 + Explanations written test (see Catechism)
- Baptism, whole section 1-4 fill in the blank test (see Catechism)*
- Sacrament of the Altar whole section fill in the blank test (see Catechism)*
Those who wish to participate in spring 2019 Confirmation Class must complete the written test by Sunday, September 9, 2018. Please call the office (262-567-5001) to schedule a half-hour appointment with Pastor O’Donnell or Pastor Scharnell any time before that date. Oral tests will be given along the way.
 This is just part of what was completed in 7th grade year
Registration, Worship, & Participation (School Year 2018-2019)
- Read, Sign, & Return the 2018-2019 “Covenant of Participation” by September 9, 2018.
- Worship and Devotional Life
- 75% year-round weekend service attendance (measured by turning in sermon notes and worship card registration)
- Turn in and discuss sermon notes in class
- Use Congregation at Prayer in the home. (Found in weekly worship bulletin)
- Confirmation Class
- Prepare for and attend class, including doing assigned homework.
- Public School students: Sundays @ 9:15 am. There may be some preparatory work that will be distributed before class via email.
- St. Paul’s School Students: Wednesdays (likely, but it will be one day/week on either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday).
- Missed class work will need to be made up. See catechist.
- Do preparatory or homework that may be assigned by the catechist.
Foundational Knowledge (Memory)
1. Luther’s Small Catechism
Memory assignments will move the catechumen beyond the pre-requisites and toward mastery of the Small Catechism.
- Confession of Faith (for 8th grade confirmands)
- Work with catechists
- Choose and memorize a Bible verse that speaks to who you are and who you know God wants you to be. This is your “confirmation verse.”
- Upon the Pastors’ guidelines and notification, using your confirmation verse and your Small Catechism, write a short essay on your God-given sacramental identity, how God—Father, Son & Holy Spirit—has been, and will be, working in your life.
- Present this confession publicly at a worship service.
- Service in Church (7th and 8th Grade)
- Confirmands will serve as acolytes (≥ 5x/yr), crucifers (as needed), ushers (≥ 3x/yr), and altar guild support (≥2x/yr) for worship according to a regular schedule.
- Attend the scheduled acolyte training (You only need to be trained once. Training is done in summer and fall).
- The church secretary will publish a schedule and email an on-line “sign up genius” to the home. If you are unable to serve you are responsible for finding a replacement and communicate that with the office and they will give you a contact list.