Prerequisite (Summer 2016)
- Know by heart (memory) the “Confirmation Prerequisites.”
- 7th and 8th Graders (public school and St. Paul’s) who wish to participate in the 2016-2017 Confirmation Class must complete the oral test no later than Sunday, September 11, 2016. Please call the office (262-567-5001) to schedule a half-hour appointment with Pastor O’Donnell or Pastor Scharnell any time before that date.
Registration, Worship, & Participation (School Year 2016-2017)
- Read, Sign, & Return the 2016-2017 “Covenant of Participation” by August 1, 2016.
- Worship and Devotional Life
- 75% year-round weekend service attendance (measured by turning in sermon notes and worship card registration)
- Turn in and discuss sermon notes in class
- Use Congregation at Prayer in the home. (Found in weekly worship bulletin)
- Confirmation Class
- Prepare for and Attend Class
- Public School students: Sundays @ 9:15am. There may be some preparatory work that will be distributed before class via email.
- St. Paul’s School Students: Thursdays (likely, but it will be one day/week on either Tu or Th).
- Missed class work will need to be made up. See instructor.
- Do preparatory or homework that may be assigned by the catechist.
Foundational Knowledge (Memory)
4. Luther’s Small Catechism
5. Confession of Faith (for 8th grade confirmands)
- Work with catechists
- Choose and memorize a Bible verse that speaks to who you are and who you know God wants you to be. This is your “confirmation verse.”
- Using your confirmation verse and your Small Catechism, write a short essay on how God—Father, Son & Holy Spirit—is working in your life.
- Present this confession publicly at a worship service
6. Small Group Examinations (8th grade confirmands)
In a small cohort group the catechumens will publicly discuss and apply the Christian faith to issues of life in American culture.
- Service in Church
- Confirmands will serve as acolytes, crucifers, ushers, and altar guild support for worship. Each catechumen serving regularly as an acolyte and at least two times each with the altar guild and an usher team.
- The church secretary will publish a master schedule on-line. Each family will also receive contact information for other families. If you are unable to serve you are responsible for communicating with the office and finding a replacement.